“The ELP Mentorship Program came at the right time in both my personal and professional timeline. I got a lot of great advice from both my peers and my mentor and feel that I was set on the right track and have a growth mindset to tackle my vision and goals." - Imani Elston
EMERGING LEADERS MENTORSHIP PROGRAM
Looking for an opportunity to discuss professional goals, challenges, and questions with peers and a mentor in the environmental sector? Join a 6-month mentorship program between Doris Duke Conservation Scholars Alumni and the Senior Fellows from the Environmental Leadership Program. Mentors and mentees will be matched 1:1 and have a call once a month for the following 6 months. This structure will provide individualized mentoring and relationship building opportunities, allowing each pair to learn from each other and to offer their expertise and knowledge. Applications are open now through May 23!
Personal Leadership Plan
Over the last 20 years the Environmental Leadership Program has supported more than 1,200 Environmental Leaders in completing a Personal Leadership Plan, or PLP, a plan for accelerating your growth and mapping out a shortcut to realizing your dreams.
A PLP is your very own personalized roadmap that can help you figure out:
- What is most important to you in your life and career?
- What are your strengths and happiness practices that you want to cultivate?
- What are your near and long term goals, milestones and the resources and support you have to overcome any challenges in achieving them?
During the mentorship program, mentees will work in small groups led by an ELP staff member (Luz, Guilu, or Charlie) once a month to develop each section of their Personal Leadership Plan. The PLP groups will be there to offer advice and ask questions to help mentees reflect and plan their personal and professional growth.
What to Expect
Both Mentors and Mentees will:
- Be matched based on their goals, interests, professional sector, and relevant identities.
- Have 6 monthly calls for about an 1 hour to share questions, challenges, goals, advice, and resources supportive of each other.
- Create/update an introductory preview page
- Share feedback with ELP staff at the midpoint and end of the program
- Share updates, challenges, questions, etc. with ELP staff as they arise
- Prepare, attend, and participate in 1 hour monthly PLP calls
- Attend one PLP coaching call with ELP staff
- Submit their drafted PLP at the end of the 6 months
- Review and familiarize themselves with the PLP framework and curriculum
- Engage in supportive feedback and active listening during 1:1 sessions with mentee
- Expose mentees to resources, connections and opportunities that will advance their leadership goals and professional careers
- Can clearly articulate career goals or questions / knows why they want to be mentored or what they hope to get out of it
- Can make time commitment of 3-4 hours / month for 6 months
- Applications are open through May 23!
- Advance your career goals, grow your leadership skills and learn from expertise peer and senior environmental leaders
- Build meaningful relationships and community with other DDCSP alumni
- Gain greater clarity on your career goals, identify personal strengths and increase self-confidence, increase personal resilience, sustainability, and expand your network
- Receive feedback and support from peers and mentor to advance your goals and skills
- Have fun!
Questions? Please email email@example.com!
- Passionate and enthusiastic about sharing personal experiences, advice and guidance, as well as learning from younger generation of leaders
- Strong interpersonal skills, demonstrates ability to actively listen, and has a growth-mindset
- Can commit to provide at least 1-2 hours / month
- Is working in environmental / social change field for at least 3+ years
- Sharing expertise, knowledge and learn from next generation of diverse leaders
- Directly contribute to growing the pathway of diverse leaders in environmental careers
- Give back to the ELP Ecosphere Strengthen and expand your own networks
- Strengthen interpersonal, leadership, mentorship, and coaching skills
Interested in being a mentor? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org!