We had such an awesome first season of POLLEN and can't wait to have even more conversations and rants with you! Dates are coming soon, but if you want to get a head start on the reading list for our premiere episode, keep reading!
We’re starting off our 2021 season with a little bit of futurism…Afrofuturism that is. Black History Month, Black Future Month, Black Panther the movie, Black Panthers the people, Octavia Butler, and N.K. Jemisin all have us thinking about alternate endings.
Remember! All of the materials are "optional". Feel free to engage with what you have time for and with what most interests you. We will focus each conversation on 2-5 short form pieces and offer/ask that anyone joining discussions bring in their own experiences and other connecting learnings and readings as well. No matter if you have a chance to read, watch, or listen to the suggested material, you are welcome!
Want to unpack some Afrofuturist themes you recently read or watched? Just want to listen and learn about Octavia Butler? Come chat with fellow sci-fi nerds about this amazing author and work. Spoilers ahead! ;)
Afrofuturism [3.17 8pm ET conversation, for 3.18 12pm ET conversation]
- GirlTrek's Black History Bootcamp Podcast, Foremothers Day 21 (listen time: 35min)
- OR How Long 'Til Black Future Month Interview with N.K. Jemisin (watch time: 54 min)
- OR Octavia’s Parables Podcast, any episode (listen time: 40-60min)
*TW: Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler includes scenes of violence including sexual assault. The Octavia's Parables podcast does discuss these topics, however the GirlTrek podcast episode and the N.K. Jemisin interview do not.
- (Optional) Engage with the supplemental materials for GirlTrek’s Octavia Butler episode
Nothing More Queer Than Nature [4.14 8pm ET conversation, 4.15 12pm ET conversation]
- Explore Queering the Map
AND explore any of the following
- Various LGBTQ2S+ stories shared on Intersectional Environmentalist (starting at 8 min)
- All My Relations Podcast episode #6 "Indigiqueer" (listen time: 56 min)
*TW: Episode #6 of the All My Relations podcast discusses themes of mental illness, suicide, and addiction.
Mutual Aid [4.26 8pm ET conversation, 4.28 12pm ET conversation]
- Review A Guide to Plug Into Community Mutual Aid Efforts by Uprooted and Rising, We will be discussing and working through this during our time together.
- Poem for the Bedridden by Aurora Levins Morales
- Shit's Totally FUCKED! What Can We Do?: A Mutual Aid Explainer by Big Door Brigade (watch time: 8 min)
- (Extra ;P) Mutual Aid Justice: Beyond Survival (watch time: 27 min)